Monday, July 13, 2020

Better not be Charlotte FC

So the new MLS Charlotte expansion franchise released the the seven candidates for the team name and eliminated one of them:  Charlotte Fortune FC.  I do like this Survivor-like elimination of names as we head towards the announcement on July 22, but if the winning name ends up being boring like "Charlotte FC", I may just go outside in public without a mask!   By the love of whatever-god-you-support-or-don't-support, not another CITY FC team.  We already have Toronto, NYC, LA, and Austin.  We already have the reverse with Dallas and Cincinnati.  Not to mention the "SC"s (Orlando City and Nashville).  I'm okay with adding FC/SC after a nickname (Sounders, Crew, Whitecaps, Fire, United (at least Charlotte United FC wasn't an option)).

What do I like?  I'm partial to Carolina.  When I ran a Continental Indoor Soccer League (CISL) fantasy league, I had a team Carolina Wave.  So Carolina Gliders, though not great, is okay.  All Carolina?  Don't know what I think about that, unless it's a local thing, then I'm all for it.  Charlotte Town and Charlotte Crown rhyme and would be different.  

Monarchs is going back to traditional but the last traditional plural nickname (that didn't come from the NASL/USL like Whitecaps, Sounders, Timbers, Impact) was the New York Red Bulls 14 years ago in 2006, and that's because Red Bull was the sponsor.  The only other non-plural "nicknames" would be Union in 2010, Dynamo in 2006, and Fire and Fusion in 1998.  So not great odds for Monarchs.

I like Charlotte Athletic since it is a different European take (we already have 3 Uniteds, an Inter, a Real, a Chivas (okay, Mexican take), and a Sporting).  So we'll see if they keep eliminating names every few days and I'll be happiest when Charlotte FC gets eliminated/executed/voted out.

Email: worldcup@hwci.com
© 2010-2023 HWCI Productions

HWCI circa 1990