Tuesday, June 8, 2010

World Cup for Free on Your Phone?

We have 23 entries so far which is pretty good.  Just a couple of reminders, not the least which is that Friday 7 AM PDT is the DEADLINE.  Also, when filling out your Round of 16 bracket, if the java applet doesn't load, try a different browser.  If that doesn't work, fax/email/mail your entry in.  As for the Round of 16 bracket, make sure your Round of 16 teams (3 column into the bracket on the java applet) are all DIFFERENT.  One of these days, I'll start this early enough where I'll have all the picks on one page (instead of 2 parts now) and have error-checking.  Alas, I do it manually now (though a lot of it is automated through macros, vlookups, etc.).

Verizon is offering their VCast service for most smartphones free for 30 days.  Allegedly, you will be able to watch the World Cup live (though in very low quality).  You have until June 11th (coincidence?) to subscribe.  Of course, if you already have the best phone on the market, the Droid Incredible (sorry EVO 4G and the iPhone 4 isn't out yet), this is a great option, though initial reports on VCast aren't so positive.  If I can get at least sound, that'd be great.  Of course, there is also USTREAM (which you can get for Android or iPhone).  What other options do we have for the phone?

Since I'm a Verizon DSL (now FIOS!) subscriber, I get ESPN3 (was ESPN360) for free, and can watch all the games (unless they're on ABC, I think) on my laptop or watch the games over again in their entirety.  Awesome.  BTW, FIOS blazes in speed... downloaded a 1.6GB file (torrent) in less than 18 minutes.  I feel like a Verizon whore (TV, Internet, Phone, Mobile) but their products are just awesome.

Email: worldcup@hwci.com
© 2010-2023 HWCI Productions

HWCI circa 1990